A revolutionary procedure—with proven results
In a clinical study of patients with severe asthma, 79% of patients treated with Bronchial Thermoplasty (BT), delivered by the Alair™ System, saw a significant improvement in their asthma-related quality of life.1
In addition, patients treated with BT experienced:
- 32% fewer severe asthma attacks1
- 84% fewer asthma-related emergency room visits1
- 66% fewer days lost from work, school, and other activities due to asthma symptoms1
Lasting benefits: Improvements in quality of life and number of days lost from activities due to asthma symptoms were followed for one year.1 Reductions in asthma attacks and emergency room visits were shown to extend through a 2-year follow-up period.2
The long-lasting benefits of reducing asthma attacks
BT, delivered by the Alair System, is a safe outpatient procedure
As with any procedure, there are risks, and individual results may vary. The most common side effect of BT is temporary worsening of respiratory-related symptoms. This side effect typically occurs within a day of the procedure and resolves within 7 days on average with standard care. There is a small (3.4% per procedure) risk of these symptoms requiring hospitalization.
1. Castro M, et al, for the AIR2 Trial Study Group. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2010;181:116-124.
2. Castro M, et al. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2011;107:65-70.